Frederick II wanted its construction between 1239 and 1250: the Castle was part of a defensive project of Sicilian eastern coasts and rose on a promontory surrounded by the sea.
Riccardo da Lentini conceived and achieved the project; the Castle became the symbol of imperial power and authority.
Because of the 1669 eruption, the lava flowing south of the castle, where today rises the neighbourhood “AngeliCustodi”, towards the sea, surrounded the building with magma on both sides and filled the moats and reduced the “apparent” height from the new planking level. The bases of the “flared” towers disappeared and only 20 years ago they were brought back to light.
The lava, whose front was about 800-900 metres long, poured out into the sea outstanding the building and a new strip of land was created, and since then the Castle has not overlooked the sea anymore.
The museum stores the collections of the Benedictine Monastery, part of that of Biscari prince and part of those given by the baron Zappalà-Asmundo.